Information Technology (IT) :
has been the backbone of technological advances in JBVNL. The organization has embraced IT tools and processes seamlessly to inflict operational excellence and better customer service. While central funding under schemes like R-APDRP/IPDS has set the tone, the DISCOM itself has taken measures to implement many an improvement, such as Online New Connection, Billing module etc.
As on date, the dept. of IT under JBVNL is being headed by Mr. Sanjay Kumar (Chief Engineer), based out of JBVNL HO at Ranchi. The department is ably supported by team of officials spread across HO and Circle Offices in Jharkhand.
Major Responsibilities of JBVNL IT :
• R-APDRP Implementation
Bringing Consumers under R-APDRP billing module has been one of the most important activities being performed by the IT department in JBVNL. The same is a periodic activity where the Consumers have been brought under R-APDRP billing ambit in phases. Having all Consumers under a single billing database instils operational efficiency.
• Revamping New Connection Process
JBVNL-IT is working towards making the complete New Connection process online. This will increase transparency and will bring down the time of paper-work in providing connection to the end-user.
• Implementation of Management Dashboards
Management dashboards have been prepared to cater the requirements of various stakeholders in JBVNL. These dashboards provide the level of customization which provides the stakeholder, at a certain position, the required amount of information, which is deemed useful for performance improvement at that position.
Dashboards have been created for positions such as :
• Management Level Dashboard
• AEE Level Dashboard
• EEE Level Dashboard
Two major initiatives taken up by IT department in JBVNL are :
Information which has been provided thru the dashboards are – Area-wise/ Tariff-wise/ Date-wise Billing – Assessment – Collection, Meter Status Report, Dues-list report, Online Collection etc. Also, the system reliability (SAIFI/SAIDI) is being tracked online and the New Connection Portal has also been integrated with GARV Application of Ministry of Power (MoP).
1. GIS Implementation :
GOI under APDRP has proposed to leverage the strength of IT for creation of authentic base line data and support utilities in IT enablement of their business processes. Energy Audit and Accounting are based on integrated IT solutions by the use of GIS indexing and asset mapping along with network analysis software.
Considering the need for continuity and to restraint the losses of the utilities, need was felt to continue the initiative of APDRP in 11th plan as well. On reviewing the status and benefits achieved in APDRP, it was felt that in order to have sustainable distribution business, it is essential to give motivation to IT enabling of the sector on an integrated platform. The IT platform will assist in capturing and validating the energy and revenue model which will improve both transparency and accuracy.
Considering the challenges of domain expertise in IT area of the utilities, it was considered necessary to prepare SRS template, which would provide the IT infrastructure for drawing the baseline data while addressing the need of IT in distribution process, to capture the benefits of the investments on sustainable basis.
The benefits are:
• Cost savings resulting from greater efficiency
• Superior judgement creation
• Enhanced communication
• Improved geographic information recordkeeping
• Improved geographic information recordkeeping
2. ERP Implementation
As part of this transformation program, JBVNL has identified several growth levers and enabling the same through a simplified enterprise technology landscape. The key objectives of JBVNL solution (ERP implementation) is depicted below:
• Common integrated system platform across different function & process
• Business process reengineering
• Adoption of best business practice
• Seamless integration of R-APDRP aided IT system
• Improved performance & decision
• Manage extension & growth of JBVNL’s distribution network
The ERP solution focuses on the business issues that have dominated the consideration of deployment of various IT application systems, including the ERP application systems. ERP application system includes following sub-systems which are integrated together on a common database:
• Finance & controls
• Stores Management
• Procurement Management
• Human Resources
The ERP initiative intends to augment the existing IT landscape and provides a backbone for all present and future business driven IT requirements. The ERP system shall also be integrated with existing R-APDRP applications for seamless single window view.
Target & Milestone
The department of IT has set itself targets dedicated towards increasing the ease of doing business in JBVNL. Along with the areas mentioned above, they are also helping implement a number of initiatives. Some of them are listed below :
||Revamping New Connection process
||Making the New Connection process online to have procedural transparency and reduce time/steps
• SUVIDHA’ portal has been set up
• Grievance Redressal cell, SASHAKT’, has been formed to cater to issues of transition phase
||Improving Billing Interface
||Providing Consumers with required information regarding Billing and multiple Bill –payment platforms for ease of operation
• Android app (eZy-bZly) has been developed for spot-billing and ‘Urja-Mitra’ partners are strengthened with Mobile, Printer and other related hardware.
• Bill payment has been enabled thru online platforms.
||Implementing Vendor Management Portal
||Creating and operating an online Vendor Portal having Technical data of empanelled Vendors working under various schemes or as supplier
• List of empanelled Vendors under R-APDRP, RE and S&P has been created and encoded in form of a database
• Vendors are being intimated to upload technical qualification data in the portal along with spreading cognizance in the JBVNL Vendor community about purpose of the move.
||Preparation of online Departmental MIS
||JBVNL IT is working on preparing online database and report-platform for better monitoring of departmental activities
• MIS Platform has been conceptualized for C&R and S&D, the two departments handling day to day operational progress.
• The S&D MIS platform has been made operational for identifying and removing run-time issues
||Online Monitoring– Projects, Stores & TRW
||It has been deemed prudent to bring Stores, TRW along with Projects progress under the ambit of online monitoring
||Procurement through Govt. e-Marketplace (GeM)
||Bringing all procurement activities of JBVNL under GeM portal